1. What is orthognathic surgery?
Also known as the “Corrective Jaw Surgery”, this procedure is designed to rectify any conditions related to the structure of the jaws and teeth. Aside from that, the surgery also aims to enhance an individual’s appearance and comfort in breathing, chewing, and speaking.
2. Who needs orthognathic surgery?
If you have been experiencing these symptoms, you may need to undergo orthognathic surgery:
- Have difficulty in swallowing, chewing, or biting food.
- Have an unbalanced facial appearance, such as a protruding or receding jaw.
- Have an open bite (a visible gap seen between your upper and lower teeth even when you close your mouth).
- Have a chronic pain in the jaw or jaw joint.
- Have sleep apnea or other breathing problems when sleeping.
3. How do you prepare for an orthognathic surgery?
You will need to meet and discuss your concerns with an Orthodontic Expert in Briarcliff Manor, like Dr. Tracy Cheung from Orthodontic Harmony to receive the right course of treatment.
Before you can undergo surgery, you will most probably be wearing braces or Invisalign for a certain period of time. Dr. Cheung will walk you through the entire orthodontic process and ensure excellent communication with your oral surgeon.
4. What happens during an orthognathic surgery?
The actual surgery varies depending on what you need to be done which will be explained by your surgeon.
5. What should you do after an orthognathic surgery?
You will need to strictly follow the instructions given to you by your surgeon to keep your mouth clean post-surgery. Your surgeon will also review with your post-surgical dietary guidelines.
6. Will there be scars left after an orthognathic surgery?
Commonly, orthognathic surgery is performed via your gum line, so there won’t be any noticeable scars aside from the thin, white lines you may observe on your gums.
7. What is it like after getting an orthognathic surgery?
After the recovery period, you will be able to notice an improvement in your appearance. After you have totally healed, you will potentially experience greater comfort in eating, speaking, and breathing too!
Orthognathic surgery requires a commitment from you as the process requires excellent cooperation between you, your orthodontist and your surgeon.
If you have concerns, feel free to discuss your options with Dr. Tracy Cheung, an expert Orthodontist in Briarcliff Manor, New York. You can reach us at 914.923.5089 to schedule a consultation.